Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hey Mama, Thanks for that Inspiration!

Maternal Love: Support and Limitation.

My mom and GMa (mothers) have been my #1 supporters. I am lucky to have had two people in my life provide unconditional love and unrelenting support for my dreams and aspirations. They showcased a strong work ethic and resiliency, something I could model my life after.

The support has been there all my life, from preschool to college, and it still follows me now. My mothers provided me with the resources I needed to succeed; the academic culture was embedded in my life as a toddler. I can remember being four years old and spend my afternoons at the Anaheim Central Public Library. I walked there after school and staying away from the trouble in my neighborhood. I read books about whales, fall of the Roman Empire, and volcanoes. I would stay until closing time, hearing the bedtime stories read at 8pm. It was my home away from home; my grandma instilled a strong educational background founded on reading.

I don’t remember when it happened, between my mothers focus on education, absorbing the environment of the library, and personal initiative, I took on a scholar identity. As a student, I always tried my best and anything less was disappointing. I remember, always striving for the “High Flyer” award given to students who showed great academic ability during a particular month. When I was recognized for my achievements, it was hard for my mothers to attend the assembly when the awards were giving. My mothers, they both worked all day, and missed most of the assemblies. It was usually only twice a year were I could show off my school work and have my teachers say how great I was: Back to School Night/ Parent Conferences.

As Latinos, there is part of our culture that limits the opportunities of our children. Something I would call Latino filial piety, where we must obey our parents at all cost because the always know best. There is a generalization in the Latino Community that our parents keep us at home until we are 30 or burden us to assist in bread winning at a young age (Limit our social, individual, and intellectual growth and development). These generalizations were true for me; I started working at twelve cleaning offices with my parents. Upon graduating high school, I was limited in distance to attending a college within minutes of my parents home. But what else could I expect? My mother, my cousins, and other Latino friends lived with their parents until age 27, 30 and beyond. Education is a priority, but we set geographic limitations and expect higher education to conform to our terms/norms. They want us to get educated, but do not understand the difference between Fullerton College, Cal State Fullerton, and UCLA. To my family, they were all the same…they were all just colegios. This is part of the Latino culture, especially for immigrant parents, that needs to change…that is changing. When I do outreach, bright college-bound students are still limited to schools that are within bus distance. Unknowing of the college environment/expectations, Latino parents assume it will be like high school, where a student can walk/ride the bus to school, take their classes and can come home to take care of their siblings or prep for dinner. It is unfortunate, but it is a struggle we face. First generation Latino students deal with cultural dissonance, the struggle between college expectations and those of their parents. But as more Latinos go to college, the myths and the unknown disappear, and clearer expectations are seen for our college bound students. The change has begun; I see it! Through improving our college-going culture, the families of our first generation students learn the truth about higher education and the opportunities it provides their student, and eventually their family. With time and education, we move forward!

Even today, as I write this, I have the support of my mothers. The foundation they created; the value in education and determination for a better life, is what I build on today.


Inspired by Kanye West- Hey Mama!

Forrest Gump, mama said, life is like a box of chocolates
My mama told me go to school, get your doctorate
Somethin to fall back on, you could profit with
But still supported me when I did the opposite
Now I feel like it's things I gotta get
Things I gotta do, just to prove to you
You was getting through, can the choir please
Give me a verse of “You, Are So Beautiful To Me"
Can't you see, you're like a book of poetry
Maya Angelou, Nicky Giovanni, turn one page and there's my mommy
Come on mommy just dance wit me, let the whole world see your dancing feet
Now when I say Hey, yall say Mama, now everybody answer me (Hey Mama)