Thursday, May 6, 2010

and Its All Good

I am not use to rejection, failure, or not getting my way. Lately, I've been striking out, throwing picks, and missing easy layups. That's just the way I feel. This sense of failure has been a good thing. I've reflected on who I am. Am I spoiled, too arrogant, or taken my good luck for granted? This rejection has been a humbling experience

Let me continue to relate this feeling to sports. I feel like a top ten draft pick that keeps sliding down the board. Everyone talks about all the potential, skills and impact I'll make at the next level, but no team is calling my number. I am use to success, being an impact player, and doing good for my organization. The reason I feel this way is directly related to my job search. I've applied for 12 positions, received 3 interviews, and got NOs each time. 0-3. I don't take rejection easily, who does? "I want things to go my way, but lately shit been going sideways." (Thanks Drake) What can I do? How do I get out of this slump? I am not someone that dwells on my failures too long, I get up, learning from then, and come back stronger. That's just the way I do it. While writing this blog, "Juicy" by Biggie comes on...and my mood changes.

I hear "get a grip" and then I remember I am not the only one in the struggle. Actually my struggle is somewhat easier than many others' struggles. Thinking of The Notorious B.I.G., I think of my little brother. My little brother means the world to me. I am so proud of him and I want to be a good big brother to him. I then realize, I need to be a role model, show him a pathway, and help him be successful in whatever he wants to do. I'm doing it for him. Then I think about all my homies in Anaheim that never made it passed high school. I'm doing it for them. I think of my fraternity brothers who provided support and always wanted me to be successful. I do it for them too. Everything I do, I do for myself and my community. I remember the lyric "Don't let them hold you down, reach for the stars" and know that I just need to move on to the next one. This job is just one dimensions of who I am and sooner or later I will find a fulfilling student affairs position.

When I think of where I am; two weeks away from graduating with my Masters, working in a profession that lets me help students learn, grow, and be successful, it is so gratifying. Then I think of my family, I can't be any happier. When I think of my support system, I know its all good!



For those reading this, thanks for your support. I appreciate you reading this and making a connection with my world.

No comments: